Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

An Unexpected Reunion

"Following a painful loss, Garnet and her cousin take comfort in each other."

105
18 Comments 18
3.7k Views 3.7k
6.9k words 6.9k words

"This would have broken Grandma's heart," I said.

My cousin Shane and I sat beside each other at my grandmother's dining room table, watching in horror as our family engaged in a screaming match. We'd returned from Grandma's funeral earlier that afternoon, and what was supposed to have been a quiet dinner had devolved into one of the ugliest arguments I'd ever seen. My aunts and uncles, joined by several cousins, hurled accusations along with threats to contest Grandma's will. I looked at my dad, who was unsuccessfully trying to play peacekeeper. His face was still ashen with grief; at the graveside service, he'd broken down weeping. As he now pleaded for calm, my mom wisely stayed quiet. While she had adored Grandma, I knew she wasn't crazy about the rest of Dad's family.

"This is disgraceful," Shane muttered. Turning toward him, I saw his face flush deeper with anger. "Want to get out of here, Garnet?"

I raised my eyebrows at the suggestion but didn't hesitate to say, "Absolutely." When we pushed back our chairs and stood, Mom gave me a questioning look. I pointed to myself and then Shane before mouthing, "We're leaving." She immediately understood. I half-expected her to urge us to stay, but she only nodded, her lips pursed in a grim line.

No one else noticed Shane and I leave the room. He and I didn't speak until we were outside and heading toward his car. "That was fucking shameful!" he finally blurted, no longer able to contain his disgust. I took a deep breath while the tension eased from my muscles; I hadn't realized how rigidly I'd been sitting at that table. Shane moved to open the passenger door of his car for me, as if he and I were on a date. The gesture brought a faint smile to my lips. "There's not much to do in this town," he said, "but the hotel where I'm staying has a bar."

"Sounds perfect." I'd just turned twenty-one the month before, so being able to order a drink was still a novel experience. And God knew I needed a drink at that moment. Shane was staying at the hotel since Grandma's small house was already packed with family who'd arrived for the funeral. Her passing was a shock to all of us. She'd seemed to be in perfect health up to the night she passed away in her sleep. My grandfather had passed many years before, and I had few memories of him.

As Shane drove toward the hotel, I sensed the fury radiating from him. He was in his late twenties, and he was also my favorite cousin. Growing up, I'd seen him and his parents only during holidays at Grandma's, but I vividly remembered how kind and funny he always was. As an only child, I'd enjoyed pretending he was my older brother. Now that I was in college and he was busy with his career, we kept in touch mainly via social media, and I often found myself wishing we were closer.

"You know what pisses me off the most?" Shane went on as he pulled into the hotel parking lot. "My parents were right in the middle of all that, carrying on like children. And they don't even need the money! But they're willing to destroy our family because they want more than their fair share of what Grandma owned. It makes me sick."

I placed a comforting hand on his knee, and his scowl faded at my touch. I was careful choosing my words, for I didn't want to say anything about his parents that would upset him. "Emotions are running high right now. Everyone's grieving and clearly not thinking straight."

"Your dad wasn't acting like an asshole," Shane pointed out. "I even heard him offer to give up his share of the estate so the others could divide it among themselves." My cousin glanced over at me, flashing a smile. "And before World War Three broke out, I also heard him bragging about you making the dean's list. I believe you may just be the smartest member of our family, Garnet."

I blushed at his compliment while trying to hide my own smile. "Dad brags about me to anyone who will listen. And the only reason I've always made the dean's list is because I spend almost all my time studying. It doesn't come easy to me."

"Oh, I find that hard to believe," Shane said. "I can tell you're brilliant."

Though I felt a little ridiculous basking in his praise, my smile only grew wider. Studying Shane's features, I tried to detect any similarities to my own, but we didn't look much alike, as he'd taken after his mom's side. He kept his brown hair cut short and neat, and beneath the suit he wore, I could discern his muscular frame. His eyes, a light blue, often betrayed his emotions; he would make a horrible poker player. I wore my own hair, a bit darker brown than his, long and in a simple style. More often than not, I had it in a ponytail. Though I was now in my twenties, my body seemed reluctant to let go of all my baby fat, and as a result, I had a voluptuous softness that no amount of exercise would change.

Once Shane and I reached the hotel, we made our way toward the entrance. It was early March, almost spring, but a frigid wind whipped my hair around my face. The waning sunlight no longer provided any warmth, and I couldn't hold back a shiver. Shane wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. "We left so fast, you didn't even have a chance to grab your coat! You must be freezing."

I nestled against him, grateful for his warmth. The hotel wasn't crowded in the middle of the week, and I relaxed even more as we stepped into the subdued quiet. Shane led me to the bar, where we chose a small table in the corner. He ordered a Jack and Coke, while I decided on a Whiskey Sour. It wasn't a girly drink, which I actually would have preferred, but it also wouldn't get me shitfaced. I was still a lightweight when it came to booze.

Shane rubbed his face and released a low groan. "My God, what a day." He looked as exhausted as I felt.

"So, how've you been?" I asked. He and I hadn't had much of a chance to talk since we'd arrived for the funeral. "How's work?" Shane rarely posted anything on social media, but when he did, I found myself studying each word and photo he shared. If he wasn't working, he was out hiking, running a marathon, or camping in the mountains with friends. He'd never mentioned a girlfriend, and all his relationships appeared strictly platonic. That surprised me because even though Shane was my cousin, I thought he was sexy as hell. I figured now that he was settled into a career and approaching thirty, he'd be thinking about finding "the one." Or maybe that wasn't important to him. Maybe he was sleeping with a different woman every week. He didn't strike me as the player type, but then again, I didn't know him well anymore.

"Things have been busy," Shane told me before taking a sip of his drink. "But I don't mind busy." I tried my own drink and fought back a grimace. Shane still noticed, grinning at my expression. "I can smell the whiskey in that, Garnet. Is it a little strong for you?"

"Not at all," I lied. "Hopefully, it'll take the edge off, you know?" I hurried to take several more sips. "I feel like it's been painful enough losing Grandma, but now I'm losing my entire extended family, too."

Shane reached for my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "You haven't lost me. I'll always be your family."

I looked down at his hand clasping mine and had to blink back tears. "But I'll probably never see you again! Nobody in the family is going to make an effort to get together for the holidays now that Grandma's gone and everyone is so angry about the will."

Shane was quiet for several moments, considering my words. "Tell you what. You and I will get together at least once every year, no matter what anyone else in the family is doing."

"You're halfway across the country, Shane." While I appreciated his attempt to comfort me, I couldn't hide my skepticism.

"I fly all the time for work," he pointed out. "It's not a problem for me to hop on a plane and come see you." Before I could respond, the server approached our table and asked if we'd like another drink. I noticed her gaze grow warmer when she fixed her attention on Shane. "I'll have another Jack and Coke. And a strawberry daiquiri for her this time," my cousin added, nodding toward me. "Can we also get an order of wings?"

Once we were alone again, I raised an eyebrow. "A strawberry daiquiri?" The truth was, I fucking loved strawberry daiquiris, but for some stupid reason, I wanted to convince Shane I could easily handle a stronger drink. Which, in fact, I could not.

He gave me a knowing smile as if he'd been on to my bullshit the entire time. "We left Grandma's before you had a chance to eat anything. You don't need another stiff drink on an empty stomach. And you're going to help me eat those wings, too."

"Fine!" I said with an eye roll, pretending he was twisting my arm. With anyone else, I would have been irritated to have such decisions made on my behalf, but I knew Shane was only looking out for me. The realization filled me with a strange heat, an unfamiliar but pleasant sensation I settled into as he and I continued talking.

The wings were delicious and messy, and although I was diligent about wiping my mouth and fingers with a napkin, I noticed Shane grinning. "What?" I asked, immediately self-conscious.

He leaned across the table. "You have a little... right here." With his thumb, he grazed my chin, gathering up a stray dollop of sauce. My eyes widened when he licked his thumb clean. Seeing the swirl of his tongue brought a hot blush to my cheeks. I knew he thought nothing of the gesture, but it struck me as incredibly intimate.

We made quick work of the wings and then set about enjoying our drinks. The daiquiri was sweet and fruity, more of a dessert than anything else, and I encouraged Shane to take a sip. I noticed he'd relaxed even more while drinking his second Jack and Coke. "Soo..." I drew out the word while tearing my beverage napkin into small strips. "Are you seeing anyone right now?"

Shane tilted his head, regarding me, with a curious smile. "Nah. I was in a relationship earlier this year, but it ended when she realized I'm not interested in marriage and starting a family."

"Why?" I asked, my voice just above a whisper. "I mean, why aren't you interested in that?"

My cousin thought a moment, then shrugged. "I guess after seeing how miserable my parents are in their marriage, I'm probably... overly cautious. I think Mom and Dad stayed together because of me, when all of us would have been better off if they'd split up a long time ago." Shane took another swallow of his drink, and I noticed his face was a little flushed from the booze. I normally had the same reaction when I drank, but right now, my face was hot for another reason. Here in this quiet bar where no one knew us, it felt as if we could be whoever we wanted, even if it was just for one evening. "What about you?" Shane asked. "I bet the guys at college are all over you."

I let out a surprised laugh that came out more like a squawk. Looking up from my growing pile of shredded napkin, I found Shane studying me in a way that seemed not at all cousinly. He made no attempt to hide the growing heat in his stare. Or maybe that was only wishful thinking on my part. I told myself it had to be. "Um, I've had only a few relationships, and they didn't last long. Most guys are just interested in hook-ups, you know? And I get that. We're in college, after all. But that's not what I want."

I feared Shane would think I was stupid and naïve for my lack of interest in going out and getting laid every weekend. Instead, he raised his glass and said, "Good for you. It's hard to stay true to yourself and what you want, especially when you're young."

"You're not even thirty. You're young, too!" I was secretly delighted by Shane's words, and I struggled to hide just how much they pleased me.

"College is different, though. You're still figuring out who you are." He glanced at his watch, then tried and failed to suppress a yawn. "Wow, it's later than I thought."

Glancing out the window, I couldn't hold back a groan of dread. "I really don't want to go back to that house."

"So, stay here at the hotel," Shane suggested. When he saw my surprised expression, he was quick to add, "I'll pay for your room. I'm sure there's plenty available."

I worked to keep my voice casual even as my pulse began racing. "Can't I just stay in your room? I mean, if you don't mind the company?"

Now it was his turn to look surprised. "Um, my room only has one bed."

Our eyes locked. As several seconds passed, the silence took on a weight between us. Then I merely shrugged. "That's fine with me."

Shane grew very still, his stare never leaving mine. I sensed he might be putting me to some kind of test, one for which only he knew the rules. But he finally gave me an easy smile. "Okay, Garnet. You ready to head up?'

I released the breath that had caught in my chest as I quickly nodded. A few minutes later, we were walking along the corridor to his room, neither of us speaking much. I'd already texted Mom to let her know I was staying at the hotel: Shane's room has two beds, so I'm staying with him. It was a harmless lie, I told myself.

Mom soon replied: Probably a good idea to stay at the hotel, sweetheart. The fighting is still going on here with no sign of letting up. Reading her words, I felt horrible for both her and Dad, but I was also relieved not to have to wade back into all that drama tonight. As Shane now used the keycard to open the door to his room, a nervous anticipation built between us. I hoped it wouldn't end up being awkward with me staying overnight.

Shane's room was dark, and as he moved to turn on a light, I saw that the room curtains were open, revealing the remnants of a gorgeous sunset in the distance. "Wait, don't turn on the light yet!" I said. I had enough illumination to make my way to the window so I could look out. "That's so beautiful."

I heard Shane walking toward me. My senses grew heightened, registering his nearness. "I'm going to miss coming back to this town to see Grandma," he said. Even without looking at him, I could easily discern the pain in his voice. Again I found myself fighting back tears. It was then that Shane slipped his arms around my waist. I immediately relaxed into his embrace, resting my head against his shoulder. We watched the fiery crimson fade from the sky, giving way to darkness.

The deepening shadows made me brave, and though I was breathing fast enough for us both to hear it, I turned to face Shane. Placing a hand against the back of his head, I gently guided him toward me. The rational, cautious part of my brain started blaring a frantic warning, but a more primitive, instinctual part of me drowned out my inhibitions with a fierce wave of lust.

When Shane's mouth met mine, I felt him stiffen. For several seconds, he didn't respond at all; it was as if he was frozen in place. But I refused to give up, for his lips were so full and soft and warm. Just when I feared he would pull away, Shane suddenly cupped my face in his hands, kissing me back with a fervor that made me moan. My lips parted, and as my cousin's tongue explored my mouth, I instantly grew wet. I could feel my pulse between my thighs, along with a needy ache that made me press my body firmly against Shane's.

He withdrew from me, his own breaths coming faster. "Garnet, what are we doing?" he whispered. Not what are you doing? No, he was implicating us both in this, though I was the one who had first kissed him. His willingness to share the culpability made me love him even more.

"We're... making each other feel good." I reached for him, but he took another step back.

"Baby, no." In the darkness, I couldn't easily make out Shane's expression, but his voice was full of turmoil. "This is wrong. We're cousins."

"So?" He let me grasp his hand. "Shane, we're both adults here, and we're not hurting anyone. Nobody needs to know about this."

"No." That word was as emphatic as the sound of a door firmly closing. He hurried to turn on the lamp beside the bed. "I'd never forgive myself if things went any further between us."

"But what if I want things to go further?" I hated my pleading tone. Shane probably thought I was an idiot.

He kept his back to me, and I watched his shoulders rise and fall while he took several deep breaths. "You're not thinking straight right now," he said. "You're grieving, and possibly drunk."

"You know I'm not drunk!" Rushing toward him, I placed a hand on his shoulder, but he refused to look...

To continue reading this story you must be a member.

Join Now
Published 
Written by Obsolete_Fox
Loved the story?
Show your appreciation by tipping the author!

Get Free access to these great features

  • Create your own custom Profile
  • Share your erotic stories with the community
  • Curate your own reading list and follow authors
  • Enter exclusive competitions
  • Chat with like minded people
  • Tip your favourite authors

Comments